- What is your criteria for granting requests?
Staff will assess funding opportunities based on several criteria:
- Alignment of request to JMBE’s funding focus areas: Access, Completion and Workforce Relevance
- Demonstration of impact to increase postsecondary access, persistence and attainment
- The proposed impact, scope, sustainability and scalability for underrepresented populations
- An organization’s internal capacity to move a proposed issue forward, and demonstrations of partnerships and/or integrations with other organizations
- An organization’s ability to meet JMBE’s eligibility requirements. For more details visit Funding Criteria
- What is your application process for grant requests?
We value the time nonprofits spend on applications and want to ensure that the process is meaningful for all parties. As such, our grant application process is by invitation only.
If an organization is interested in providing information regarding work that aligns with our funding priorities, they may contact us Here. JMBE staff will respond to emails within three business days.
If an organization is invited, the initial grant proposal steps include:
- JMBE sends a link to the online system
- Nonprofit answers a series of eligibility questions
- Nonprofit registers or logs into the JMBE application system
- Nonprofit completes the Letter of Inquiry and submits
- Will the Endowment entertain multi-year funding?
Yes, multi-year funding will be considered if appropriate for the request. These requests will be assessed based on the scope and scalability of a project or initiative.
- Would you consider funding more than one program for an organization within a single fiscal year?
Typically an organization will only be funded once within a single year. We advise nonprofits to consider their most pressing need that best aligns with the JMBE funding strategies. If the organizations’ work aligns with JMBE’s focus, general operating support may be considered. JMBE can provide guidance on the best approach to take at the appropriate time.
- How much money is typically awarded per grant?
There is no minimum or maximum amount for grants awarded, but all funding requests will require sound rationale based on organizational capacity, total funding needed, additional funding secured and sustainability.
- Are there deadlines for submitting a Letter of Inquiry (LOI) or application?
JMBE operates on a rolling funding cycle. Grants are typically awarded twice a year (late Spring and late Fall). Organizations in the application process are not automatically declined at the end of the calendar year, but may roll into the next year for funding, depending on where they are in the process and whether they are awarded a grant. If an organization has a funding need for a particular fiscal cycle, they should let JMBE know in their LOI or application.
- How soon will my nonprofit be notified regarding the status of its Letter of Inquiry?
JMBE will contact the nonprofit within 90 days of submission regarding the status of its Letter of Inquiry and potential next steps.
- Do you conduct site visits during the evaluation process or funding period?
Yes, typically a representative from JMBE will conduct a site visit during the grant proposal evaluation. Additional site visits during the funding period may be scheduled in partnership with the nonprofit if there are program updates or milestones that warrant an onsite meeting. During the site visit the JMBE officer generally meets with the executive director/president/CEO, the program leadership, and tours the site/facility.
- If funding is awarded, does the Endowment require impact reports to measure program success?
Yes, if funding is awarded, JMBE will ask the organization to provide scheduled impact reports based on the goals and metrics submitted in the nonprofit’s application. Organizations will be given an opportunity to provide a qualitative (narrative) update in addition to a quantitative (metrics) update.
- Does the Endowment provide funding for general operating support? For annual campaigns or other fund raising events?
JMBE will consider providing funding for general operating support if the organization’s mission and work aligns with the JMBE funding strategies: postsecondary access and completion, and workforce relevance. JMBE does not typically provide support for annual campaigns or fundraising events.
- If my Letter of Inquiry (LOI) or application is declined, will feedback be provided?
If JMBE declines a funding request, the primary reasons will be provided. Depending on the volume of requests, in-depth feedback may not be possible for LOI’s.
- Can I speak with someone at the Endowment to discuss funding opportunities?
If an organization is interested in providing information regarding work that aligns with our funding strategies, they may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. JMBE staff will respond to emails within three business days.