- William Henry Belk, Founder
- 1st Belk Store in Monroe
- 1st Belk Store Employees
- Belk Harry Partnership
- Matthews Belk Partnership
- Tom and John Belk with WHB bust
- Belk South Park Drawing
- Belk South Park's Design
- Belk Cosmetics Dept.
- Belk South Park Vendor Shop
- Belk Headquarters Tyvola Rd.
- Belk Distribution Center
- John with Tim, Johnny and McKay
John is remembered as a very successful businessman, having run his family’s company with his brothers for more than 50 years. It all began in 1888, when John’s father and uncle, William Henry Belk and Dr. John Belk, opened a single dry goods store in Monroe, N.C. They formed dozens of retail partnerships with businessmen in small towns across the Southeast, creating what was to become one of the region’s preeminent department store organizations.
In 1952, John returned home from the military and assumed a leadership role in this family business. Over time, he and his brother Tom completely transformed the Belk organization from a myriad network of small downtown bargain stores to expanded, modernized department stores, anchoring major suburban malls and shopping centers.
In 1965, John even had a hand in creating Charlotte’s South Park mall, by orchestrating a land swap with James J. Harris on what was then considered the outskirts of town. Today, it remains one of North Carolina’s premier retail centers.
In 1998, John led the efforts to merge 112 separate Belk store corporations into one corporate entity, Belk, Inc., which became the nation’s largest privately owned department store company. As part of his leadership, John mentored his three nephews, Thomas M. “Tim” Belk, H.W. McKay Belk and John R. “Johnny” Belk, who succeeded him as the company’s third generation of family leaders when he retired in 2004.